Friday, February 24, 2012

Stuck In The Mud

A few years ago I developed a special friendship with a woman who had a little horse ranch. She raised the nicest horses, some of them loved to be petted, brushed and even hugged. I loved to go over and love on these horses. One particular horse was named Torte and I developed a special bond with him. He would follow me around and I would always try to have carrots in my pocket. He would allow me to give him hugs and scratch his neck. I loved this horse.

One Saturday, I took my family over to meet this wonder horse. When we arrived Torte was out on the far side of the pasture. My friend was in the midst of doing her chores so I didn't want to bug her, so my family started visiting and petting horses. I on the other hand went about trying to find Torte to meet my family. As I looked for him, I saw that he was way out on the other side of the the pasture. I began calling Torte to come to me but every time he would try to come up to me, a group of mares (about 6-8) would block him from coming to me. And so he would run scared and go back out to the far side of the pasture.

So I decided that if Mohammad won't come to the mountain, then the mountain must go to Mohammad. I had my mud boots on and thought I could just go out to the pasture and bring my man in myself. I was smarter and stronger than those mares. So as I went through the gates and began to venture out I realized that the pasture was very muddy, I mean really muddy. As I got farther and farther away from the barn, the mud was getting deeper and deeper. Before I knew it my right foot was stuck. I could not get it up out of the mud. I figured I had better not put my left foot down or it would get stuck but with that theory in play, my right foot just sank lower and lower.

As I stood there I could see no one. I began to call for help, but no one responded. I was stuck and I was sinking farther and farther down into the pit. As I considered my plight, I began searching my pockets for a pen and paper to leave a note laying on top of the mud so that all would know how I came to my demise and that I loved my family.

I even considered slipping out of my boots and walking/running with no shoes. But as I examined the mud, I realized that I was not only in mud but in the poopies of many, many horses. My gross meeter would not allow myself this method of escape. And again as I called for help, no one heard my plea.

I again noticed my friend Torte, I thought maybe he could help me. He could give me some leverage. He could pull me out, I could slip my arms around his neck and be pulled to safety. After all he loved me. So I began to call to Torte. He would start to come over but just as he would get near to me, the herd of mares would come over and block his way. He was so afraid of these girlie horses that even his love for me could not help him overcome his fear. Over and over, he would try to come to my side but was chased away. He was genuinely afraid of this herd of females. I think he had "mother" issues but that's for another day.

As I reflect on this moment in my life, I realize that many of us get stuck in life situations that seem to be impossible to get out of. Things seem to be impossible and we see no way out. But just like I called out to my friend Torte, we too can call out to our Lord. But the difference here is that when we call out to God, He will always come to our rescue. There is never going to be anything that is going to scare Him away from helping us. There is nothing that can keep Him from us. There is nothing that we can do that will keep Him from us.

Scripture tells us about time after time where God came to the help of his beloved people of Israel. Even though the people of Israel continually failed God, repented, but then failed God again, God always took them back and saved them from whatever terrible plight they were suffering from.

One of the most amazing stories is from 2 Kings 21. Israel was being ruled by King Manasseh. The Bible tells us that "he did evil in the sight of the Lord". He not only did this himself but led the people to do the same. He put up idols, desecrated God's temple with foreign idols, even sacrificed his own children in fire. What a completely horrible monster of a man. God only tolerated this for so long before He gave them over to the Assyrians. They destroyed the Israelites, took all their possessions, took the people captive and carried off Manasseh with a ring in his nose, chained like a slave.

What utter humiliation for a king who served over a great nation. A nation that could have had everything if only they had stayed true to the one and only God of the universe. But an amazing thing happened. While in prison, Manasseh humbled himself before the Lord and God heard his plea to be rescued. Now this is the most amazing thing, Manasseh was the most horrible king. He did the most horrific things and God really should have let him stay in prison. God should have let him be tortured just like he obviously tortured people, even his own children. Instead God rescued him and allowed him to go back to Jerusalem.

God was there for Manasseh. There was nothing that would keep God from helping Manasseh when he was at his lowest. No matter what Manasseh had done in the past, it was all about where Manasseh's heart was at the moment. God saw his brokenness, his pain and suffering.

Scripture tells us that God also hears our brokenness. He wants us to come to Him in our time of need. There is nothing that can keep Him away from us, not even a mean heard of mares. When we are stuck in a situation that appears to be hopeless and there seems to be no way out, all we need to do is humble ourselves before the Lord and He promises to be there for us. No if's, ands or buts. His Word tells us "seek me and you will find me".

I don't know what your mud is today, but I do know that you can depend on the Lord to get you out of it.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”


Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.

Jeremiah 29:11-12
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

So as you walk through life and feel like you are in the midst of problems that make you feel like you are stuck, stuck with no way out, then you must realize that you have a Lord that wants to rescue you. He wants us to have a life that is filled with peace and prosperity. Years ago, I listened to a well-known speaker and her admonition for a peaceful life was to be obedient to God's Word. So when you feel stuck, go to God's word and seek out His Word and the solutions that He offers.

Go to God in prayer.
Call out to the Lord, He hears your prayers


Oh and by the way, it's pretty obvious that I didn't get swallowed up in the mud, the Lord sent my dear sweet friend to dig me out as we laughed and joked about my "Lucy moment".

No comments:

Post a Comment