Saturday, October 20, 2018

When You Are Feeling Hopeless

A few weeks ago, this picture couldn’t convey a more accurate summary of how my husband Gordon and I felt. Though we knew it was wrong…we uttered the words….” has God abandoned us?” After so many years of service to Him, both separately before we were married and jointly as husband and wife, where was the God that we served so faithfully? Circumstances felt like they were climbing higher and were about to crash over us. It felt like we were going to get flipped by this enormous wave and we would be destroyed. The giant waves just kept pounding us as we dealt with Gordon’s illness, to lengthy hospital stays for him, mounting medical bills, living expenses, car problems, and many more situations that I won’t bore you with. AND then, to top it off, we needed to move in 30 days and we had absolutely no resources to do that. At one point, I sat and wept. I was so scared. I had visions of us living in our car. It seemed hopeless.
Fortunately, I had the sanity to know that though the situations were real, the feelings of hopelessness were just that….FEELINGS! I had to fight the desire to give into the feelings and instead, look to the truth…the Words of our great and mighty Savior. Out of the thousands of verses in the Bible, this verse came to my mind and I want to share it with you because I hung on to it with all my might:
“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”
1 Peter 5:7
So that night, gathered around Gordon’s hospital bed, we prayed and claimed this verse. Then, we did the hardest thing…we WAITED on God! We went about our daily lives, but we waited on God to provide for us. Friends let me tell you, that over the next few hours, days, and weeks, God began answering each and everyone one of our concerns. Gordon is getting better in a lot of ways, our move is done, our financial needs are being answered as we need them, and our car was fixed. Everyday God proves Himself faithful as He continues to pour out His blessings on us. He has turned my weeping into joy!
I don’t know what you are dealing with today, but I do know that God is waiting for you to come to Him. He wants to help you. Isaiah 30:18 tells us:
“Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you;
therefore, he will rise up to show you compassion.
For the Lord is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!”
So, if the wave of destruction is climbing up behind you, why not give it to God and wait. He longs to rescue you. Also, I would suggest a wonderful song that has been one of my anchors through this time..."All I Need is You" by Hillsong United. I listen to this comforting song on YouTube and Spotify. Take some time to bask in the comfort of the words. Comment below if you would like for my family and I to pray for you. We know the fear, but we also know the joy of His rescue and you can know it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment